Find out more about the thinking, research and reading that is informing our development.
Downloads and links
A selection of the reading that is helping us shape EmpathyLab
- Unselfie, why empathetic kids succeed in our all-about-me world, Michelle Borba, Touchstone, 2016
- The Empathy Instinct, Sir Peter Bazalgette, John Murray 2017
- The decline of empathy and the appeal of right-wing politics, blog, Psychology Today, 2016
- Empathy, a Handbook for Revolution, Roman Krznaric, Random House 2014
- Settling Troubled Pupils to Learn, Bomber & Hughes (see Chapter 8), Worth Publishing 2013
- How to talk so kids will listen and listen so kids will talk, Faber and Mazlich, Piccadilly Press, 2017
- Assessment for learning without limits, Alison Peacock, Open University Press, 2016
- Flip the system, changing education from the ground up, ed. Levers, Education International 2015
- Building communities of engaged readers, Cremin, Mottram et al, Routledge 2014
- Using storytelling as a therapeutic tool
Margot Sunderland, Speechmark 2011
- The Passionate Muse, Keith Oatley, Oxford University Press, 2012
- Zero degrees of empathy, Simon Baron-Cohen, Penguin 2012
And we’re being inspired by The Empathy Museum, The Empathy Library, Roots of Empathy
and Ashoka’s Start Empathy
Some of the research which frames our thinking and the rationale for our work
Empathy, justice and moral behaviour, University of Chicago 2015. Jean Decety, Jason Cowell, AJOB Neuroscience 6 (3) 2015
Social and emotional learning: skills for life and work, UCL Institute of Education, 2015
Reading Other Minds: effects of literature on empathy, University of Toronto, 2013:. Maja Djikic, Keith Oatley and Mihnea C Moldoveanu. Scientific study of literature 3:1, 2013, 28-47.
Getting lost in a book, the science of reading comprehension, Frontiers for Young Minds 2015, Kate Lawrence.
Feeling Other's Pain: Transforming Empathy into Compassion, Interview with Tania Singer for the Cognitive Neuroscience Society website, 2013 Article online
Reading Literary Fiction improves Theory of Mind : New School for Social Research, New York, 2013. Emanuele Castono, David Comer Kidd. Oct 3 2013 issue of Science.
Changes in Dispositional Empathy in American College Students Over Time, Konrath, O’Brien, Hsing. Personality and Social Psychology Review, 2015
Short and long term effects of a Novel on Connectivity in the Brain, Emory University, Georgia 2013. Gregory Berns, Kristina Braine et al. Brain connectivity, Vol 3, No 6, 2013.
Improving emotional competence through mediated reading. Madrid University 2013. Enrique Riquelme, Ignatio Montero. Mind Culture and Activity, 2013, Part 2, issue 3, 225-239.
The Science of Fiction. University of Toronto: Keith Oatley, Maja Djikic, Raymond Mar. Review of General Psychology, Vol 3u
Don’t worry: promoting resilience through the use of book in the classroom , Queensland University of Technology 2007: Dr Marilyn Campbell. In Primary and Middle Years Educator, 5(1) pp. 3-8, Australian Curriculum Studies Association.